Monday, November 29, 2010

The Perils of Globalized Life


August 17, 2010:

                You can arrive in Spain wishing that globalization was more complete and that Wal-Mart was on the scene “rationalizing” commercial life.  Not only are most businesses closed on Sundays but most close at two o’clock on weekday afternoons and re-open later only for several early evening hours.  In small towns and villages, groceries are sold at the neighborhood level almost literally from the ground floor front rooms of residences.  There is often almost no advertising clue that a house actually includes a shop.  When I push aside the ‘fly curtains’ of such a place, I’m gripped with this fear that I will find myself invading someone’s drawing room or kitchen.  My practice is to try to follow someone sporting a shopping hand bag.  I’ll blame any mistake on them. 
                But there is beauty in this “system”.  People walk to go shopping, getting exercise.  Since they must hand carry their consumables home, I swear that they eat both simpler and they eat less.  The “Superstore” parking lot facilitates both overconsumption and under exercise. 
                I walked today into Villanueva de Campeán  (KM 567).  The Plaza Major in Salamanca, which can only be entered on foot, was fantastic.  I’ll reach Zamora, an old Roman town, tomorrow.