Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Steeling for the Silver Road

July 30, 2010:

                “Warning:  Seville is famous for its thieves and pickpockets.”  So says my Cicerone Guidebook, “Via de la Plata, The Way of Saint James: Seville to Santiago”.  My valuables seem to be intact and still in my possession after a day and a half of orienting myself here on the ground in Seville.  I’ve toured the Cathedral, the Giralda, the Alcázar and gardens, and possibly viewed Pilate’s House, although this last depends entirely on my skill reading street maps.  Regardless, I feel pretty well adjusted (I can’t say acclimatized) and as ready as I will ever be to begin my 1,000 kilometer Pilgrim walk north on the Camino Mozarabe/Via de la Plata camino road to Santiago.  Were I to do it justice I would be spending a full week in the city which others could explain is steeped in Spanish Arabian history and culture.  Neon signs have been flashing 40C degree/104 Fahrenheit temperatures at me each of the past two afternoons.  It feels like several circles down in Dante’s Inferno.  I am going to brave this on foot with back pack.  Wish me luck.